Health Enhancement Systems (HES) is the world leader in workplace wellness campaigns. Our programs help hundreds of thousands of participants improve health — from nutrition to fitness to stress management to weight loss and more each day.
A passionate full-time backend developer to join our team based in Midland, Michigan. We build React, and support AngularJS, web applications that connect to a Ruby on Rails API. We follow contemporary development practices (scrum, iteration planning, alpha and beta testing) and use robust project management tools (ClickUp, Figma). As a backend developer, you’ll be responsible for building Rails APIs, completing a variety of DevOps tasks, supporting our AWS infrastructure, and working to ensure security standards are met.
- Maintain and improve security documentation and implementations, staying up to date with the latest security measures
- Analyze and improve AWS infrastructure for optimal performance, security, and continuously support ongoing upgrades
- Freedom to implement solutions using Ruby on Rails, NodeJS, or similar technologies as appropriate
- Engage effectively with developers to drive features and processes in our products
- Support client needs related to security assessments.
Benefits & Perks
- Remote option (US-based)
- Generous paid vacation
- Simple IRA plan
- Health Insurance options
- HSA contribution
- $200 smart phone credit + $30/month for data
- Monthly wellness benefit for personal health/wellness products or programs
- Adjustable height desk
- Daily walking breaks
- Onsite fitness center
- Every other week, half-day Fridays
- Working knowledge of RESTful APIs, as well as exposure to a modern web framework (django, ruby-on-rails, express, etc.)
- An understanding of SQL/MySQL (or comparable) databases
- Familiarity with git management tools and concepts surrounding the CI/CD deployment process
- Exposure to containerization technologies, such as docker, is a plus
- Interest, understanding, and willingness to learn industry standard security practices is viewed favorably.
- Customer service mindset — will do whatever is necessary to take care of clients efficiently, accurately, and with professionalism, even if the client is in error
- Helping nature — desire to assist clients and colleagues whenever necessary to contribute to the overall value and growth of HES
- Self-starter — must be able to understand overall goals/direction but not require close supervision
- Confident personality — without being pushy or aggressive
- Team player — can be relied on to complete tasks and work well with others
- Flexible and responsive — can shift focus quickly with changing priorities
- Calm — handles multiple priorities while staying relaxed.
Don’t send a resume (yet). The first step is to write a Why You Need Me letter. Take some time to learn about HES and our industry, reflect on the job responsibilities and qualities we’re looking for, then describe to us why you’re the perfect fit for the job. Send your letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.